As a first step, a candidate should come prepared, prepared for the questions that the interviewer may pop up. Following are some of the main questions that you may need to think about before going to an interview.
- What can you tell us about yourself? Or who are you? The topics that a candidate should cover under this question are education, work history and the recent career experience.Remember this is a warm up question and therefore should take only some few minutes as an answer .
- Tell us why do you want to work for us?Â Â The deadliest answer here is to tell the interviewer ” For Money “. This is a fact that we all can not deny, we all work for money, but what about the company’s needs? What about your needs in growing? You should always remember that in all questions you are promoting yourself. Interviewers should hear something that makes them believe in your skills and make them hire you. A good answer here is to focus on how you want to get involved in the business process that the company provides.In this question and through other interview questions comes the emphasis of research. You should always research the company profile before you go to an interview. The company’s website should be the best source of information about the article.
- What do you know about us ?Â Â Â Here comes the importance of researching again. You should do your homework here and try to collect and absorb as much information as you can. You can visit the company’s website, blog, or groups on social media.
- Why did you leave you previous job?Â If you had a fight with your previous employer or the company did not meet your expectations then try not to deliver a bad image about your previous employer/company. The interviewers here will be concerned that one day you will deliver a bad image about them too.Â Remember in this point that you should never lie in an interview and that the interviewers might do a background check and make sure of the integrity of the information you provided through the reference section of your resume.
- Tell us something that went wrong with you in a previous position and how you handled it? Interviewers know that absolutely no one is perfect and do not have mistakes. From mistakes we learn, so do not lie about this point and say “I never did anything wrong”. Try to think of the least harmful things that occurred with you at sometime and that you have handled with the best workable solution.
- What are your long term goals? Where do you see yourself five years from now?Â The interviewer would like to see here if you have planned your career or not. You should provide him/her with an answers that shows your willingness to grow in a path that matches the company’s and the position’s goals.
- Why should we hire you?Â Again you should be promoting yourself. You should focus here on your skills, competencies, your willingness to succeed, the energy and commitment to work, and the experience you have.
- Tell us what do u know about the job you are applying for?Â The answer here comes from the job post the recruiters have posted. You should also try to research for information related to the job description in order to answer this question.
- Tell us why you have chosen your specialty as …?Â Â Show your love for what you do or willing to do and match it in terms of the market needs.
You can look for more questions and answers on About.com
Research the company
You should research the company so you could answer in confidence all the questions by the interviewer. You should look to the following:
- What are the services and products they offer?
- What are previous project they worked on ?
- In how many places are they located? Are they multinational or local?
- How many employees are there in the company?
- Where does the company stand in the market about the competitors?
- Who are their customers?
- What sort of organization are they?
- What departments they have on which you may get involved directly with?
You should absorb as much information as you can so you get a clear picture of the company’s structure and business processes. Here are few places that you need to check:
- The official website of the company
- Their page or group on Facebook
- Their account on LinkedIn
- If they are on MySpace or twitter
- Try to search for other articles about the company on the web
- If the company has any brochures then you can check them
- If your friend works there and you were referred by him/her, then you should consider twice to meet him/her and discuss the company’s profile.
Plan your journey
You should always pass by the company one day before just to see where it is located. We do not need to get lost 10 minutes before the interview. This can cause lots of discomfort for the candidate. So you can go a day or two before and check where the company is located.
Plan your image
Plan what you will dress for the interview. Remember each candidate should dress according to the job he/she is applying to.
Look professional in your dress. Do not plan to wear something too tight so you are comfortable in the interview.
Remember that if you are a female you should not wear a lot of make up unless the job requires so.
Do not use perfume excessively so that the interviewer would not get irritated from the smell.
Make sure not to smoke either on the day of the interview for the same reason.
Arrive 10 to 15 minutes before so that interviewers get ready for the interview.
Be confident about your capabilities and you will make it through the interview successfully.
Good luck !
And finally before I leave you, if you’re in for a good laugh, you can check out our collection ofÂ hilarious interview questions.