One cannot stress enough the value of effective communication at work. Without it there can be serious issues in productivity and team work! Managers often assess their employees with their potential for such effective communication, and communication skills are considered in the essence of performance appraisals. For this purpose, it is in the benefit of the employee to be as effective as possible in communication at work. Following are tips for maintaining this effective communication:
1- Communicate Clearly: The key to effective communication is clear communication. Try to lay down the ideas you wish to share in as simple ways as possible. Understand how the other person thinks, and be direct to him without keeping vagueness in your communication. Be direct to the point.
2- Listen: Communication is a 2 way street. The more you listen, the more you are able to understand the other person, and hence reaching common grounds with him/her.
3- Think Before You Talk: I cannot stress enough this point as when you say a word, there is no taking it back. After listening carefully to the other person, process what he is saying, and try to always get the key points he/she is trying to communicate, and then go ahead and give your opinion about it.
4- Use Proper Body Language: If you thought communication is only about words, then think again! It is estimated that 93% of your communication is through body language, and the remaining 7% are through words. Always have a confident stance, and have open arms which communicates positiveness and receptivity for others. And definitely keep a smile!
5- Be Positive: positiveness is key in effective communication at work. Try to point out the positive points in the message you are sending out, and avoid negative pointers as they will only lead to frustration and cut down the communication.
6- Raise Interest: by discussing items that interest the other party, and building on them, you raise interest. Key in communication is not to lose the focus of the other person, but through gaining their interest and focus, and raising interest is one of such important means. For instance you can praise the improvements this person has made and then build on it to ask them to do tasks similar in nature or which will improve their career path.
7- Be Honest: how many times you heard the term “honesty is the best policy”? well it surely is! always communicate truthful information, as if you don’t, you will surely lose your respect among employees. Honesty will lead you to mutual respect with employees and help you get the same attitude back from your employees.
What do you think would be other traits needed for effective communication at work?